A project management report is a summary evaluation of the present-day popularity of the project. It is a proper document of the nation of a project at a given time (the precise shape and information may also range relying on your organization and project management workplace requirements, as many companies now have their personal templates that their PMs stick to). Depending on the dimensions and complexity of your project, a project management document can be required weekly or monthly. It is furnished to all project stakeholders to assist maintain them updated at the development of the project and any urgent demanding situations the project can be facing. Most project management reviews are unmarried pagers however may also have appendices or hyperlinks to extra facts for all of us who need to delve into the information. However, in a few circumstances, it can be a good deal extra in-depth.
What is covered in a project management report?
Project Management reviews should include the subsequent key traits regardless of which business, industry, or maybe kind of project the document is for:
All the figuring out project facts:
- The project calls.
- The project number (when you have one)
- Name of the project manager
- Project sponsor
- Start date of the project.
- Expected end date.
- Customer call and facts
- The date the document is released.
The key metrics of project success:
- Schedule development in opposition to plan: Is the project beforehand or at the back of the timetable?
- Current price as opposed to finances: Are you below finances or over?
- Current scope in comparison to planning: Has the scope modified because the project began? If so, how?
- Planned as opposed to real resourcing: Are any assets lacking or overallocated?
- An evaluation of dangers: Are there any excessive dangers that want to be managed?
- Current best findings: Has best checking out been done? Were there any issues?
Additional facts to include:
- Project change management: This is commonly a replacement for any pending and permitted change requests for the project.
- Actions taken: This affords an excessive-stage precision of key moves taken and selections made because of closing documents. It also can encompass accomplishments, inclusive of milestones currently met.
- Decisions required: If there may be a key selection that desires to be made, that is a common region to name out what it is far, who it is ready on, and while it is due. An instance might be sponsor approval of the project management plan.
- Upcoming milestones: Deliverables due quickly and milestones coming near can be communicated for awareness.
How to write down a project management document
When writing a Project Management document, it is far vital to maintaining the subsequent in mind:
- Be concise and proportionate and consequences: Do not cognizance of information your stakeholders do not want to understand. Try to apply bullet points, now no longer paragraphs. If you create a ten-web page record each week, no person can examine it. Plus, you will not have time to manipulate the real project.
- Understand your audience: Make certain the document is not always too technical and keep away from any jargon. Otherwise, your stakeholders will not be capable of apprehending it.
- Provide context: Do not simply say a deliverable can be weeks late. How will this affect the relaxation of the project and what moves are being taken to solve it? Stakeholders want to understand how vast the hassle genuinely is.
- Be clean about any questions: If you require any of your stakeholders to do something, make certain you explicitly name out who is accountable, what it is far they are accountable for, and while it desires to be done.
- Make it visual: Use a project management software program that gives project management document templates. This permits stakeholders to quickly pick out which tasks are suffering and what regions they are suffering with, earlier than analyzing similarly into the document. Executives may also obtain dozens of reviews (or extra) each week, so making the reviews clean to examine is critical.