A project initiation document (PID) has numerous very essential project-making plan features in a PRINCE2 environment. The PRINCE2 project initiation document is a critical high-stage plan that offers vital context wanted for stakeholder buy-in and project team engagement. Create it, reference it, and replace it for the duration of the project to get as much cost from it as possible.
What is a project initiation document?
A PID is a making plans document or documentation that defines the project scope, its enterprise case, dangers, and different vital information.
The cause of a project initiation document is to accumulate key making plans statistics to be able to assist steer the project withinside the proper route, advantage approval from stakeholders and decision-makers, and set up a clear plan for project transport.
Without a PID, a project is in danger of being derailed because of a loss of route and a loss of engagement from stakeholders. Your project management PID is like a residing record — that means that it could be up to date and changed over the project existence cycle as essential.
What is going right into a project initiation document (PID)?
A preferred project initiation document template and tick list consists of some key sections. These sections will deliver wider context to the project, set out desires and protocols, and act as a reference for the project team and stakeholders.
- Project definition: An assessment of the project’s scope and goals. This segment must incorporate information to recognize precisely what the project goals to reap and why.
- Project method: The project method segment of your project initiation document must articulate what is going to be accomplished and the way it will serve the project’s desires.
- Business case: This is wherein you justify the project and provide an explanation for the way it advances the broader enterprise desires of the company or portfolio.
- Roles and obligations: The most important obligations of your project team must be articulated right here. Who is liable for what over the project’s duration?
- Risk control plan: In this, a part of your project initiation document, become aware of and outline ability project dangers. Layout plans to cope with those dangers and have them arise.
- Communication plan: How and whilst will stakeholders and project sponsors get hold of updates and different communications at some point of the project? These protocols must be set up on this segment.
- Project plan: Now that you have defined what, who, and whilst of your project, you want to provide an explanation for how your project team plans to get all of it accomplished. Describe how your team will reap the desires and goals set out in advance sections.